The Martial Art of Taekwon-do
Tae Kwon-Do is an ancient Korean form of martial arts or self-defense and is one of the quickest ways to get in shape. “Tae” stands for jumping or flying, to kick or smash with the foot. “Kwon” denotes the fist–chiefly to punch or destroy with the hand or fist. “Do” means an art or way–the right way built and paved by the saints and sages in the past. Because Tae Kwon-Do is a devastating martial art using the Korean hand and foot method, the student bears a special responsibility to legal and social morals.
Tae Kwon-Do offers training in mental discipline and is excellent for building self-confidence, as well as improving concentration. You will also find that Taekwondo helps improve coordination, muscle tone and flexibility. Taekwondo also emphasizes respect, discipline, and responsibility.
Tae Kwon-Do is an activity for the whole family, regardless of age or gender, that is a terrific source of fun, togetherness, and family spirit, while you develop flexibility, muscle tone, and lose weight.
Additional advantages of Tae Kwon-Do include:
- It may be practiced individually or in groups without the use of weights or special equipment. Since the body sets its own limits, injuries or strains are rare and the physical condition of the student paces him automatically. The entire muscle system of the body, from the fingers to toes is brought into play.
- The training does not produce large knotty muscles, it tends to exchange flabby tissue for lean tissue. Taekwondo’s high repetition, low-resistance movements develop a longer, leaner, and more flexible musculature.
- Training tends to help normalize body weight in that it results in a gain of solid tissue for the underweight and a loss of body fat for the obese.
Great Lakes Global Taekwondo
Thank you for your interest in our web site. Our goals at Great Lakes Global TaeKwondo include making our students the best martial artists they can become by practicing the true traditional form of TaeKwondo as laid down by its founder General Choi Hong Hi. By promoting and emphasizing it’s ideals and tenets, courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control, and indomitable spirit in each class, and in all areas of their lives. At Great Lakes Global TaeKwondo we study the “ART” of TaeKwondo. Although students progress from white belts to black belt, our emphasize is not on just achieving a particular rank but the learning and understanding the “art or do” of TaeKwondo. Our certification is recognized Nationally and Internationally. Call or stop in to set up a free trial class, mentioned you saw it on the web.
Our TaeKwondo program at Great Lakes Global TaeKwondo is licensed by the International TaeKwondo Federation under Master Choi, Jung Hwa, the son of General Choi, Hong Hi the founder of TaeKwondo. The International Taekwondo Federation Black Belt certificate signed by Master Choi is one of the most sought after certificate in the world. The lineage of our instructors and program is recognized throughout the world. Students have access to seminars where they may train with the son of the founder of TaeKwondo, and other Master instructors who trained consistently with General Choi and Master Choi.
- 2007 International TaeKwondo Federation Overall Jr. Men’s World Champion, and Overall Jr. Men’s World Team Champion.
- Invitational Tournament May 31, 2014
- Summer Camps see news and events Additional camp added in August
- A high quality martial arts program recognized around the world in the Toledo area
- Competition is optional not required.
- Founded in 1997, in the Sylvania & Toledo Area