The Martial Art of TaeKwon-Do
TaeKwon-Do is an ancient Korean form of martial arts, or self-defense, and is one of the quickest ways to get in shape. “Tae” stands for jumping or flying, to kick or smash with the foot. “Kwon” denotes the fist–chiefly to punch or destroy with the hand or fist. “Do” means an Art or Way–the right way built and paved by the saints and sages in the past. Because TaeKwon-Do is a devastating martial art using the Korean hand and foot method, the student bears a special responsibility to legal and social morals.
TaeKwon-Do offers training in mental discipline and is excellent for building confidence, self-esteem, as well as improving concentration. You will also find that TaeKwon-Do helps improve coordination, muscle tone and flexibility. TaeKwon-Do also emphasizes respect, discipline, and responsibility.
TaeKwon-Do is an activity for the whole family, regardless of age or gender. It is a wonderful source of fun, togetherness, and family spirit, while you develop flexibility, muscle tone, and lose weight.
Additional advantages of Tae Kwon-Do include:
- It may be practiced individually or in groups without the use of weights or special equipment. Since the body sets its own limits injuries, or strains, are rare and the physical condition of the student allows them to pace themselves automatically. The entire muscle system of the body, from the fingers to the toe,s is brought into play.
- The training does not produce large knotty muscles, it tends to exchange flabby tissue for lean tissue. TaeKwon-Do’s high repetition and low-resistance movements develop a longer, leaner, and more flexible musculature.
- Training tends to help normalize body weight in that it results in a gain of solid tissue for the underweight and a loss of body fat for the obese.
Great Lakes Global TaeKwon-Do
Thank you for your interest in our website. Our goals at Great Lakes Global TaeKwon-Do include making our students the best martial artists they can become by practicing the true traditional form of TaeKwon-Do as laid down by its founder General Choi Hong Hi. We promote and emphasize it’s ideals and tenets: courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control, and indomitable spirit in each class, as well as in all areas of their lives. At Great Lakes Global TaeKwon-Do, we study the “ART” of TaeKwon-Do. Although students progress from white belt to black belt, our emphasize is not on just achieving a particular rank but the learning and understanding the “Art or Do” of TaeKwon-Do. Our certification is recognized Nationally and Internationally. Call or stop in to set up a free trial class, make sure you mention that you saw us on the internet!
Our TaeKwon-Do program at Great Lakes Global TaeKwon-Do is licensed by the International TaeKwon-Do Federation (ITF) under Master Choi, Jung Hwa, the son of General Choi, Hong Hi, the founder of TaeKwon-Do. The International TaeKwon-Do Federation Black Belt certificate signed by Master Choi is one of the most sought after certificates in the world. The lineage of our instructors and program is recognized throughout the world. Students have access to seminars where they may train with the son of the founder of TaeKwon-Do, and other Master instructors who trained consistently with General Choi and Master Choi.
- Founded in 1997, in the Sylvania & Toledo Area
- 2007 International TaeKwon-Do Federation Overall Jr. Men’s World Champion, and Overall Jr. Men’s World Team Champion.
- Offers competition opportunities, optional not required.
- Offers Summer Camps, social activities, travel opportunities and being a part of a community.
- A high quality martial arts program recognized around the world.